woensdag 11 januari 2017

VPC Went Vegas Day 12; End in sight.

Like a miracle Air Canada gets us to Frankfurt alive and well. We all get a discount voucher because the inflight entrainment didn’t work properly. Since I’m not interested even if the discount is 200% I don’t even accept the voucher. We have 50 minutes to make our Amsterdam flight which is quite a challenge since Frankfurt International is humongous and I’m dragging world traveller Baars along with me. I don’t particularly like Germans. Not the people themselves but the language always gets me on tilt. I live 500 meters from the German border so I hear more than my fair share of German and it’s impossible to be friendly in that language. If they apologize for like bumping into you they say “Verzeihung”. Except they say “VERZEIHUNG!!!!” which makes the hairs in neck stand up straight.

One thing you have to give the Germans though; they’re effective as f*ck. They should send the entire personnel from Houston International on a field trip to Frankfurt and see how things are done properly. In less than 20 minutes we went through passport control, customs and about five miles of airport. Impressive. They also manage to get our suitcases on board the Amsterdam flight on time.

Lufthansa brings us to Amsterdam and during this 50 minute flight I’m offered more and better free food & drink options than Air Canada managed in 10+ hours. This c*unt of a trip is about to come to an end. After touchdown we see the boys have found their way home safely. Baars and I have a two hour train ride ahead of us after we’re done waiting for our suitcases. I didn’t buy train tickets at baggage claim since I had a feeling my girlfriend might be waiting on the other side. She wanted to know our arrival time yesterday but I told her not to bother and just go have a nice day. Needless to say she didn’t listen and Baars get to chill in the back of our car instead of dragging suitcases around trains for two+ hours. Nice. We drop off Baars around 17:00 hours and about 48 hours after getting in the Taxi at Excalibur I’m finally home. I don’t even have the energy to bring my suitcase to the attic and just grab my sheets from the bed and throw myself on the couch.

On the couch I start looking back on yet another fantastic Las Vegas trip. Financially is was good trip. I won a bit of money in the tourneys and the cash games didn’t go too bad either. I got set over setted more than I care for but you can’t really complain when a three outer nets you a decent score on the second day. I hardly gamble except for some low stakes roulette and I’m pretty sure I at least broke even on that as well. I spend < 25% off what I had budgeted so that is always good. I managed to get a few things - Hakkasan, Orleans & Naked Fish - off my Vegas Bucket List as well.

Few changes are going to be made for the 2018 trip though. For starters; no more US lay-overs. Next trip is going to be Dusseldorf / Amsterdam to London and a direct flight to Vegas. We got shafted on both ways this time. That isn’t happing again. Second; no more budget hotels, Mirage and upwards from here on. Third; I like that I stayed on this part of the Strip but it’s back to the other side in 2018 for sure. Fourth; we added an extra day to this year’s trip but since I can’t handle Vegas more than five days anyway there is no point in doing that again. This trip took eight vacation days and that is too much. Fifth; sleeping pills that have full grow rhino on the ground in less than 30 seconds.

So, that’s it once again. Another “VPC Went Vegas” series in the books. It was great fun typing it all up and I hope y’all enjoyed reading it. A special thanks to the lads for being perfect Vegas companions as always. Shout out to VPC first timers Wum en Jelzo who needed about five seconds to adjust to the ‘live and let live’ VPC mentality. Next VPC Vegas trip; most likely Jan / Feb 2018.



Geen opmerkingen: